Wednesday, April 2, 2014

IR improvements

Remote control has been work OK but not great... It seemed like I had to be close by and pointing in the "right direction" and I thought it was a matter of the strength of the remote signal. In reading forums I came across info about "IR arrays," and realized I might be able to put several IR sensors together on the same input using the breadboard. VOILA! I now have two "mounted" (with paperclips) fore and aft, and the response is much better.

The other modification necessary in this phase was to mount the Sparkfun base w/ breadboard onto the chassis. Some quick drilling made this possible, and also helped me realize that aesthetics IS part of the process - I am trying to create something that "looks" like a vehicle and looks good as well as functioning the way I want.

9v motor battery is dying, but I am holding off using a new one while I test. Still wondering if the power improvement will give me the steering control I want (and could I put TWO 4-AA packs in series and use 12v? or even 3 to get MORE power?) but thinking I will try a servo-controlled steering mechanism anyway just to see if it will work. That's next...

No comments:

Post a Comment