I appreciate this focus in the Capstone Portfolio process. I have been involved in two statewide "communities" for many years, but the discussions there have not been as regular and focused as those in the Classroom 2.0 environment I have chosen to join.
Vermont has a statewide listserv called SCHOOL-IT which provides a support forum for those involved in Ed Tech throughout the state. Participants are a mixture of NetAdmin, Tech Coordinators at the local and District level, Integration Specialists, Library/Media folks and Teacher technology leaders. The diversity of perspectives is valuable, and conversations on this list range from use of and experiences with new tools, implementation of hardware and software solutions, school policies and in many cases connecting people who are using similar tools. Over the years I have learned much from the work of others in the field, and I believe this community has done well in developing peer support throughout the state. Many of us have met in person at statewide conferences after meeting each other through this list.
Vermont also has statewide Ed Tech support organization called VITA-Learn, which sponsors two annual conferences as well as regional meetings three or four times a year. VITA-Learn meetings and conferences have also been an opportunity to get together for sharing and discussion of implementation and best practices in the use of technology tools for teaching and learning.
We learn so much from each other! I find that participation in these forums not only gives me new ideas and different perspectives on the tools we use, but responding and contributing to a forum also helps me clarify my own thinking about what I do and how. Continued professional discussion "keeps the ball rolling" and assures that my thinking and practice continue to evolve.
No comments:
Post a Comment