Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sharing everything with everyone? Really?

An addition to my first post re: students making everything public and searchable, linked to social networks, etc.... I recognize that this is the current trend and participate in social networking myself, however I am not convinced that middle school students should be presented with links to Facebook, Twitter, Google Buzz, etc whenever they make a blog post. In our schools we have not yet had the opportunity to train students to "hold back" on sharing everything with everyone, and I am concerned about the resulting loss of privacy as well as fostering the "put it all out there regardless of whether it is meaningful or of any quality" attitude.

That said, I suppose we need to grab the opportunity to use these features as "teachable moments," putting students in the driver's seat and guiding them as they create their own spaces. Those are the standards...

No comments:

Post a Comment