Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Final Project Ideas

I have been "on the fence" trying to choose which of my four ideas to pursue: expanded robotics (vehicle,) printing 3D polyhedra (perhaps even lit by Arduino/LED?,) Interactive Art and 3D topographic prints. Ultimately I am torn between a project that *I* will engage with vs. a project that has a closer connection to curriculum and thus more realistic for implementation in school. I wish Blogger could o tables... here is a comparison based on "Good Project" criteria from Invent to Learn:

Robot Vehicle vs. 3D Polyhedra
  1. Is the problem solvable? Robotics is doable and "extensible" in many ways. This would be a truly open-ended exploration. 3D design will involve reviewing geometric concepts as well as deeper learning in Sketchup.
  2. Is the project monumental or substantial? Robotics feels "substantial" while 3D printing feels more "monumental"
  3. Who does the project satisfy Robotics is definitely a personal interest and thus more motivating. The 3D printing concept is intriguing in a "can it be done" fashion.
  4. What can they do with that? Leads to implementation of Robotics Club as a new direction for MMU. 3D printing would have a direct connection to curriculum and would thus move provide broader access to 3D printing. ** This is a key factor!
  1. Purpose and Relevance Robotics is more personally motivating and engaging.
  2. Time Equally time consuming
  3. Complexity Robotics is Combination of design challenge, Arduino coding and possibly 3D printing of parts. It has more "Maker and tinkerer" elements to it. 3D printing would be complex but would involve computer-only work.
  4. Intensity I have already been engaged in Arduino robotics as a personal interest and am naturally drawn in. 3D printing could be equally engaging but am not feeling the same "draw."
  5. Connection Robotics is a collaborative effort, and I have already been working with a "design partner" at home. This has also been an opportunity to practice teaching robotics and coding concepts. The 3D printing project could open up collaboration with colleagues in the Math department.
  6. Access Access to materials and software is not an issue in either case.
  7. Shareability 3D printing would have a student audience and would be more directly applicable to current curriculum. A Robotics project would have a more limited audience, particularly at school. On the other hand it would build a "platform" for future robotics work at MMU.
  8. Novelty A robotics project is not particularly novel, however might engage a small segment of students who have an interest. The 3D printing project is a unique idea and I have not found "comparables."  

No comments:

Post a Comment